Make new dreams, relinquish the old (to an extent)
Had a great weekend. The honor fraternity I am part of had a picnic this past weekend for members, new students and faculty. The love of my life took off from work early to drive down and be here in time for the picnic. It was good times! We went with my good friend and all had fun...at least I think we did. No one could get the charcoal grills to work for a very long time.
The rest of the weekend, we went shopping together, had lasagna for dinner (meat for him, cheese for me), visited Lowe's often, climbed the ladder to see the leak in the roof and then went to Applebee's for dinner last night (of which I ate the leftovers tonight). I changed my schedule so I had to go into work an hour earlier. He was still basically asleep when I was ready to go but stood at the door with his sleepy, bleary eyed, sticking up hair cuteness. As I walked across to the building my insides were yelling at me "Turn around, run back to the car, go back there!"...but the responsible adult in me kept walking to work. Ack!
Started my groups today, which was exciting for me. My brother arrived at his new home in a different time zone, which SHOULD be exciting for him.
I watched "How I Met Your Mother" tonight, not knowing that Lily and Marshall had broken up. At the end, she came and asked him to please take her back and he said no. After 9 years and a broken engagement, a broken heart ended it all. I started to cry b/c it made it all seem so simple. It also hit home for me, reminding me of the times we did split and when I wondered if we would ever be together again, crying and wishing and feeling so lost. Ten and a half years and I wouldn't trade it any of it for the world b/c that's how we got to 10 1/2 years. We had so many trials early on and ups and downs and found our way back to each other and that's worth more than anything. This kind of relationship is not found in stores. It's not your everyday variety. It's not stuck in the early phases of "does he really like/love me" or the "how do I know when "the one" comes along" questions. B/c the fact is that we do really like/love each other, to a degree that probably surpassed both of our initial expectations. I don't worry about "the one" b/c it's staring me in the face and happily my head AND heart BOTH know that. It continues to stand the test of time and my bet is that it will be continuing to do so long after the novelty of love wears off for others. I have admitted to myself that my dream of being engaged at 26 will not be happening in this lifetime...b/c the next time I see him, I'll be 27. However, the dream of meeting someone who loves and respects me while still making me smile just to see him...well that one is a big old check mark in the dream-come-true department.
A friend mentioned tonight that seeing so many people getting engaged lately (it really does seem to be a rash of engagements) made said friend ponder " cause i just keep thinking, 'what's special about them? why aren't i engaged?"
I think I have some insight into the answer. Nothing is so special about them...or at least not any more so than anyone else. We've never gone with the flow...do we really want to start now? Karma is real, my friends. I truly believe that.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home